copyright of Order of St Mary at the Cross © 2014
site by triptych
Anglican Benedictine Community of St Mary at the Cross
94A, Priory Field Drive, Edgware HA8 9PU
Registered Charity 209261
History of the Order
Founded in 1866 by Mother Monnica Skinner and Fr Henry Nihill to be a praying witness of God’s love for his people expressed through the care of the sick and needy of every kind in society.
MORE INFO CLICK HERE
We take the Benedictine vows of Stability, Conversion of Life, and Obedience, we value the traditions handed down to us in the Monastic Life and seek to respond to the Holy Spirit as God calls anew every day through our prayer, work and community life.
Founded in 1866 by Mother Monnica Skinner and Fr Henry Nihill to be a praying witness of God’s love for his people expressed through the care of the sick and needy of every kind in society. This ministry continues today in the provision of Henry Nihill House, a care home with nursing for disabled persons and frail elderly persons, in the beautiful grounds of Edgware Abbey.
Edgware Abbey is a haven of peace for many visitors. All are offered Benedictine hospitality with space for rest and renewal. The small comfortable Guest Wing provides short stay retreat accommodation and offers a venue for day visits.
Guests are welcome to participate in the Community’s offering of the Divine Office and Eucharist.
Oblates are valued members of our extended Community family. Following the spirit of the Holy Rule of St Benedict while living independent lives outside the cloister, Oblates are bonded with the Community in the Divine Office, prayer, commitment to service and contributing to the common life as they are able.